Welcome to our blog. We have the latest computer hardware news and reviews updated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Be sure to check our 'Deals and Promotions' section where we bring you the best deals, coupons and discounts on hottest computer hardware and software. Saving you time and money since 2007.


The FX series processors are part of a platform designed for Gamers and High Definition content enthusiasts called Scorpius, which includes 990 chipset-based motherboards like the MSI FX990A-GD80 and the ASUS Crosshair V Formula, a 6 series video card, and of course the FX series processor.
After having the opportunity to watch some of the world's best overclockers pull a Guinness World record of 8.4GHz from the "Bulldozer" architecture using liquid helium as the cooling medium, I figured a solid 5GHz would be attainable in this case. After all, AMD had also set up a rig running all day long at 4.8Ghz with nothing more than a self-contained water cooling solution keeping it cool. Simple enough, I found that managing the thermal load was the key to overclocking this chip when the voltage is ramped up – just as expected. However, it was not as easy as it would seem, with 8 physical cores in four Bulldozer modules. Rather than fight for big clock speeds on air, I used a Corsair Hydro Series H80 to manage the thermal load and closely replicate what I saw at AMD's Austin headquarters in terms of cooling solution and clock speeds. There are two stability levels here: benchmark stable and what I consider fully stable with Prime95. At 4940MHz (229x21.5 @ 1.435V), I was able to navigate through the OS and game for hours, though the system was not fully stable due to the thermal load. To get Prime95 stable, I had to drop the clock speeds down to 4640MHz (232x20 @1.325V) for a more easily-managed thermal load . After a ton of trial and error to reach my stability point, however, I found that results were not indicative of clock speeds during load testing. Through further research, I found that the FX-8150 starts throttling the clock speed (multiplier) at roughly 81°C, hence the need to further manage the thermal load to get the highest clocks from the FX-8150. A perfect example is shown in the Prime95 screen shot below. In the end, a 1.34GHz or almost 38% bump in clock speed is not that bad and is similar to the gains I have seen with some of my Intel chips. With a full-on water loop, speeds this high should be attainable and fully Prime95 stable. I do have to say, though, this is the highest-clocking AMD chip I have ever laid hands on. 5.0GHz, here I come! Read more »
AMD FX 8150 8-Core Processor, 3.6 8 Socket AM3 - FD8150FRGUBOX Price $249.99

Share |

0 comments